This tour provides an excellent introduction to Bali's essential sights as well as its religion, art and culture. Bali's population is approximately 3.5 million, of which 85% are Hindus and the remaining 15% are either Moslems or Christians. The island's rich art and culture have been traditionally passed down from generation to generation by means of the local community centers and this excursion takes you to several of these key communities where you can see first-hand how Bali's past is infused with the present day.
Your tour first travels to Tohpati village, well-known for processing exceptional Batik cloth. Here, you'll have a unique opportunity to observe skilled artisans at work as they use the different methods of applying the colors and printing to the fabric. Continuing on, you'll make your way to Celuk village, a center of gold and silver work where over half the village's population is involved in the silver industry. Original designs in delicate filigree make Balinese jewelry one of the most remarkable styles in Asia. As with most Balinese crafts, gold and silver work is largely a hereditary trade with apprentices beginning to train at a young age and by the time they reach the age of 12, already producing fine ornaments.
From Celuk, it's on to Kemenuh village, a major woodcarving center. Renowned for its wood-carving, you will be able to watch the local craftsmen as they turn slabs of teak or ebony wood into intricate statues and masks. Of special interest here are the huge carved statues that depict mythical figures, such as the Garuda.
As your tour draws to a close, you'll make a final stop at Peliatan village, a village noted for its painters. Traditional Balinese painting was strictly limited to three basic kinds. Most of the paintings were narratives with mythological themes, illustrating stories from Hindu epics and literature. Under the influence of western painters who settled in Bali in the 1930s, Balinese artists began painting single scenes instead of narrative tales, using images from everyday life as their theme. Your visit to Peliatan includes time at one of the local galleries where you can view the beautiful works created by gifted Balinese artists.
Please note: This tour includes a moderate amount of walking and a few steps. However, the sites are not wheelchair accessible and therefore it is not available to wheelchair guests. Those guests with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of ability and stamina. Lightweight clothing, a hat, comfortable walking shoes and an umbrella are recommended.